Saturday, June 27, 2009

A little recipe

This could easily be doubled or tripled and the quantities aren't exact.

Quick Pickly Japanese Salad

1-2 Persian cucumbers or half an English cucumber, halved and sliced
1-2 carrots, peeled and coarsely shredded
1-2 green onions, sliced
~4 oz. firm tofu, cut into small cubes (optional)
rice vinegar

Throw the vegetables in a bowl and add enough vinegar to moisten them with a little extra liquid in the bottom of the bowl. Add about 1/2 tsp each of salt and sugar, lots of fresh ground pepper and a good squirt of Sriracha sauce. Toss together and let hang out for 5 to 10 minutes. With tofu it's more of a salad, without it's more of a condiment.


I've been packing all day. John is at a wedding, someone I don't know; watching strangers get married is not my idea of a good time. I have way too much shit! I keep finding, like, rocks I saved for some reason or another. Self, stop bringing home rocks; they belong in the world. I'm throwing out lots of old shoes and bags and crap I haven't even looked at in years. (Or donating and recycling as applicable.) The new place will have much less storage space. It feels kind of Zen to just trash stuff, though the landfill monks might disagree.


  1. "You can't always / be worrying about others and keeping track of yourself / at the same time. That would be abusive, and about as much fun / as attending the wedding of two people you don't know." Ashbery

    I brought home a rock once, but I was saving it for someone.

  2. rocks lol me too i do the same thing! people give them to me, then i feel attached to them. guilty to throw them out.

    another thing i have trouble getting rid of: foreign currency.

  3. OMG the guilt. finding a present someone gave me that I just buried in a drawer makes me profoundly sad.