Friday, July 17, 2009

This weekend is going to be big

Last night we picked up Jeff and Maureen from the airport and went to Murphy's for dinner/drinks. My favorite thing we talked about was designing a chart to be titled "Big in the '80s" with bubbles of varying sizes, corresponding to just how big that thing was. But I can't decide if it's better to keep it real (e.g., "AIDS") or get shit wrong, like include stuff from the early '90s. Of course we were quickly shouting out "Disco!" and "Movable type!" I like people who aren't afraid/ashamed to push a joke to its logical limits, eventually rendering it quite unfunny. You don't know what the barrier is until you break it. To put it another way, there's only one way to prove that dishes don't wash themselves.

Within the next 24 hours, at least a few more out-of-towners are arriving, among them Chris Starkey, Sam Starkweather and Chris Tonelli. I have created a Venn diagram to illustrate syllabic overlap among their names.


Does that even make sense? Did I spell "Chris" correctly? This diagram is dedicated to Kathy Rooney.

Yesterday I had lunch with yet another Chris, family name of Marstall, who, it turns out, knows both the CEO and IT guy where I work. (Motherfucker knows everybody. I guess that's what happens when you stay in Boston for a while, since the non-transient population is only like, 5,000.) We talked about our mutual dislike of the pressure to tip "well" (i.e. 20%+), regardless of quality of service, and conversations that begin with "What have you been up to?"

Nonetheless, I'm going to tell you what I've been up to (only the things that aren't the same every day, duh): Buying a big dresser at a secondhand store and lugging it up the stairs with John (which made my ass really sore) and putting all my clothes in it; hanging art, some of which fell down due to thinness of walls; revising a sucky poem, which still sucks; slowly reading a book of Joy Williams stories on the train (Taking Care). I find these stories devastating, even the ones that aren't very good. Oh also I bought some new clothes. Summ'ry ones. Oh, also: This issue of Ekleksographia (I promise I didn't just type a bunch of random letters) curated by Amy King; includes great poems by my awrsome friends Dan Boehl, Heather Green, Farrah Field and the aforementioned Starkweather.

It's a promise: After this weekend I will post some pics of the apartment and peeps in it. See you soon.

16 comments:

  1. on rigorous inspection your VD (venn diag, that is) doesn't seem quite correct since it implies an overlap between SS and CT. perhaps you should post an updated version for the those who are really careful about their VDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wait, your sets are labelled by 'chris' and 'stark'. mybad. i think. i might still be confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. right I don't think there's any implied overlap; tonelli is in one set, starkweather is in the other and only starkey is in the union.

    weren't you a math major?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. was dawg, was. old habits -- they die hard. as you can see i am not big on logic either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you mean old habits die quickly. Wouldn't "die hard" imply you could STILL READ A VENN DIAGRAM. man, pick a side, math or English, you can't do both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dude you missed my 'logic' joke. get it

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh right. shit! I guess we both have "egg on our faces" now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought you were referring to the "logic" of diagrams. sounds like a bad "indie" movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. let me put it 2 u this way:

    when cortez reached the new world, he burned his ships. as a result, his men were well motivated.

    there is some danger that all this nonsense and flim-flam will dissuade genuine commenters from posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "better the face than the _____" as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fuck 'em if they can't take a joke, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Venn Diagrams sort of generally, but I especally love this one in particular. Well-done, EG.

    ReplyDelete
  13. dude i love 'fuck em if they can't take a joke'. you can say that in response 2 anything.

    would you like a drink with that sir?

    fuck em if they can't take a joke.

    etc

    ReplyDelete
  14. So essentially, what you're saying is, if Chris Tonelli and i had a baby, it would be Chris Starkey, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What I'm saying is, You DID have a baby.

    ReplyDelete