Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bits, Lorcaloca-style

I wrote a brief review of Bluets, Maggie Nelson's new book from Wave. Me likey, but go read the review on the Open Letters blog for the juicy detes.

*

It's a no-go for The Emperor's Children, obvi, so I think I'm going to read The Echo Maker next. I've read a couple of books by Richard Powers, and they're always good enough to finish, certainly, but vaguely unsatisfying. I think it's just that he's not as brilliant as he thinks he is, so his ambition slightly exceeds his reach. I'll let you know. Also starting to flip through Aim Straight at the Fountain and Press Vaporize, poems by Elizabeth Marie Young.

*

We had an awesome anniversary dinner at Bin 26 on Charles Street. The food and wine were fucking fantastic. Accordingly, I urge you never to go there, and we will surely never go back. Restaurants in Boston are only good once. (Also, the service kind of sucked, but we got over that in the midst of the foodgasms.)

Case in point: Gaslight in SoWa, which we have enjoyed before and has a number of things going for it: parking lot, outdoor seating, nice atmosphere, good drinks, fashionable without being ridonkulously expensive. But we dined there with Jared on Thurs and the food was really middling. As were the wines by the glass. Stick to the bar menu, and in fact don't eat there.

*

I need to lose five pounds. If you see me eating, do me a favor and slap the food out of my hand and say "Have no more!" This is a game Heather taught me, and it'll be fun for you too.

4 comments:

  1. You mean you want John to lose 5 pounds. Mary tries the same thing with me. "Oh, if only I could lose five pounds. Eric, can we start eating well? What do think of salads and smoothies for dinner?

    No more cake, you fat fucker."

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. actually John was trying to lose 5 pounds before me. maybe it's viral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't get any skinnier or you will fade away. and then what would i do?

    ReplyDelete