Friday, October 23, 2009

Bronson Pinchot's conversational agenda

From an interview with Bronson Pinchot in A.V. Club; this section is re his role in Risky Business (emphases mine):
We thought Tom [Cruise] was the biggest bore on the face of the Earth. He had spent some formative time with Sean Penn—we were all very young at the time, Tom was 20, I was 23. Tom had picked up this knack of calling everyone by their character names, because that would probably make your performance better, and I don’t agree with that. I think that acting is acting, and the rest of the time, you should be you, but he called us all by our character names. He was tense and made constant, constant unrelated homophobic comments, like, “You want some ice cream, in case there are no gay people there?” I mean, his lingo was larded with the most… There was no basis for it. It was like, “It’s a nice day, I’m glad there are no gay people standing here.” Very, very strange.

Years and years later when people started to torment him with that, I used to think “God, that’s really fitting, because he tormented a lot of people as a 20-year-old.” He made such a big deal about it. Same thing with Eddie Murphy—I remember somebody calling and saying, “You’ll never guess who was just caught with a transvestite!” [Laughs.] And I remember thinking that seemed fitting, because there are certain people in showbiz who make it an agenda, every third sentence has to have something knocking that life choice, and you think, “What are you doing?” Like, these women came up to me in a restaurant—I was wearing a bright red shirt, and I was with some friends, and they said, “Would you like to join our club? We wear red.” What kind of choice is that? If you spent many years in the theater, and then you show up in movies, and people have on their to-do list for the day that they’re going to make a comment every third sentence, it strikes you as very strange. I just thought it was very funny that years later, that became his bugaboo. Which is a nice 1930s term I thought you’d enjoy.

AVC: Do you think he was just insecure? Or that he was young?

BP: I really don’t know. It is what it is; there’s nothing I can add to it. If someone’s 20 years old and every third line out of their mouth is anti-something specific, then draw your own conclusion. I thought it was very weird. Similarly, there’s a certain type of middle-aged woman that will tell you within 20 seconds of meeting you that she can’t find anyone to take her to bed. And that really strikes me as strange, too, like, “Why are you telling me that?” I don’t like any kind of conversational agenda; it makes me uncomfortable. I just think it’s weird. Unless you’re with your very best friends and you’re being silly. Then you can do whatever you want.
Is it me, or does Bronson Pinchot have a conversational agenda? He seems very suspiciously anti-agenda. He can't stop talking about it. It makes me uncomfortable. Draw your own conclusions.

Update: Also he uses the word "weird" 19 times.

14 comments:

  1. Hahaha this is hilarious.

    I really want this to be a scene from an exastentialist play. It's very "Waiting for Godot".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to count how many times he says "strange" -- fucking 30!! I hate when people are constantly diagnosing everything as "weird" or "strange." You know, like every third sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you there when we ran into Bronson Pinchot at the Tam in Boston?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's that now???? Nooo, I think I'd remember that. I like how you say "ran into" him like you see him out and about with some frequency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, he's being weird, but it's my kind of weird so I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just assumed he'd be a "lovable doofus" but he came off as a bit of an egomaniac jerk to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say "ran into" because it was super-casual, like he was just there having a beer at the Tam as if it were the most normal place ever for him to show up. Which maybe it was? But we were all drunk and semi-starstruck, and at first we couldn't be sure it was him. So Sarah Brown and Jeff VanDreason and I decided the way to determine his authenticity was to ask him a series of difficult questions including, "What was the name of the movie that you were in with Christian Slater and Dennis Hopper?" as if nobody else could ever answer that. To which he was all "True Romance!" So then we knew it was him. But turns out, it really was. He was in the play Stones in His Pockets at some theatre up the street and he ended up giving us a bunch of free tickets so we all went to go see him in it. It was "weird."

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's bitchin'! Wish I was there. Not now, but then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazycakes as this interview admittedly makes him sound, he was really nice at the time, I have to say. He'll always be Balki Bartokomous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure, he was nice to your face. But if you ever get famous? (Not that you're not "famous.") Let the rumor-mongering begin.

    He's ruined Denzel for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kind of like the rumor-mongering. He's clearly not overthinking how his remarks will be received or being filtered within an inch of his life by a publicist. He just "goes there."

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, I wanted to like it, but in the end I just felt like he's homophobic, misogynist and gay.

    But I know how it goes. I too hate when beautiful people I dumped in the past stare at me hatefully and totally break my concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not saying he doesn't sound like a dick. Just that he manages to be really entertaining. It provokes a way stronger emotional response than your average celebrity interview.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whatever Pinchot's case, I've heard from enough Hollywood working people over the years that Cruise is gay, right down to a private jet flight attendant who waited on Cruise and his special "friend" a few flights ... I don't know how I feel about closeted famous gays, except to say that I kind of want to out them all, hypocritically so. That's my messed up agenda. Maybe Pinchot is onboard.

    ReplyDelete