Thursday, December 31, 2009

NYE Quickie

Happy New Year's Eve, little ones! You're probably drunk, so I'll keep things light today. Go over to HTML Giant and check out this interview between Lily Hoang and Kathleen Rooney (my sweet Kathy being the askee). I like how LH introduces KR as dark & intimidating from afar, but "chipper as anything" in person. So true. When we read for Mark Wallace's class last spring, one of the students wrote in a response that he was surprised the dark one was so bubbly whereas I, the blond one, was more "depressing." I live to subvert your expectations, youth of America. (Also, suck it.)

And now back to me: I have two poems in the new Laurel Review, which arrived in duplicate yesterday. It looks great.

It's turning into quite the winter wonderland outside, but I don't care, because I'm staying in to have gluten-free mac 'n' cheese and champagne cocktails with my honey. "See you next year!"

4 comments:

  1. Where/when did "suck it" get into the lexicon? The first time I heard it was Tina Fey on 30 Rock (I think season one), but that seems too recent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to an Urban Dictionary entry from February 2004: "A term used by the legendary wrestling group, the D-Generation-X, which is often used to imply that you want someone to put their mouth on your dick and suck it like a lollipop.
    Hey everyone! We got two words for ya...

    SUCK IT!!!!!"

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minor correction: one of the students wrote that she was surprised. An easy enough jump to make--but as I'm sure you know, gender and hair stereotypes are alive and well among all genders and colors/styles of hair. Happy Completion of Another Cycle in the Western Calendar System to you, Elisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, although it's a little funny that I more often hear women use the term than men. A detailed discussion on this point would take us too far afield.

    Yeah Elisa you are definitely a brunette, perhaps some coloring is in order.

    ReplyDelete