Sunday, December 27, 2009

A wonderful buttery note up top, and a bread-like iris touch in the drydown

I'm back in Boston, approximately 16 hours later than planned, after wasting most of yesterday at the airport; I actually stood at the *front* of a line for over two hours. It was epically, comically infuriating. I finally rebooked on a different airline, then went back home and drank a fishbowl-sized glass of wine. I had to get up at 5 a.m. for the new flight but instead of sleeping on the plane I read this:

I asked for this book for Christmas after hearing about it from Chip, who knows one of the authors. "J'adore" it. It's like good food writing, but way better, because I don't actually like "good food writing" -- it's never really all that good, just pretentious in a dilettantishly "poetic" way, and all I really want is to look at the pictures. Perfumes: The A-Z Guide has and needs no pictures. It's just a shit-ton of microreviews of perfumes, and the only bad thing I can say about it is that it feeds my already rampant consumerism. I had bought a trashy magazine and never even got to it.

On the way down, I finished the A.M. Homes book. It had some really good parts, like a page-turner of a section in which Paul ends up getting a crotch tattoo to impress a neighborhood floozy, then vomiting in the street, and a rather devastating ending, but the whole thing was edited (or not edited) in a weirdly crappy way. There were like, continuity errors? And at one point she defines s'mores? Very strange. Maybe she wrote it under a real tight deadline. After the perfume guide (I'm seriously reading it front to back) I think I'm going to read We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Speaking of books: I think I can share John's good news now: His first novel is going to be published next year. It's called Under the Small Lights and it's an extremely poignant and lovely little coming-of-age novel. I've suggested he stop announcing this to people we've just met, but truly, congrats are in order, are they not? Yay John. Yay 2010.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to John. Also, We Have Always Lived In The Castle is a weird, creepy read, in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. still wondering how chamomile can be buttery. or irises woody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have much to learn, Young Chris.

    ReplyDelete