Sunday, January 3, 2010

Grace Kelly's Arms

It's hardly a new idea, but I think Grace Kelly is as beautiful as women get. It's hard for me to believe that any woman ever alive or yet to be born could top her out. Her arms are simply the eternal feminine ideal. There are sexier women, certainly--Blake Lively, Victoria's Secret "Angels" and Maxim covers, Liz Hurley--but such overt sexiness is not the feminine ideal.

John thinks she's "too perfect," but what can such a phrase mean? If you find a flaw, then she isn't perfect. I think what people generally mean by "too perfect" is too cookie-cutter, too all-American, or too polished and pristine. I assume the third option is what is applied to Grace Kelly, because she's so beautiful she's not sexy. And I assume this is why John does not prefer her; he prefers a visibly seedy underbelly, a la Jennifer Jason Leigh.

I think I find Grace Kelly beautiful partly because I imagine she was not perfect in person, IRL. I think she so often played a feisty (but vulnerable) bitch because she was one. If Grace Kelly's brand of bitch were a candy it'd be a York peppermint patty: shiny wrapper, hard outer shell, cool but soft and yielding interior. What option has one to be a bit of a bitch when one is so beautiful? And what option has one, when one is too beautiful to be sexy, but to be, in the parlance of her time, a raging slut? IRL, she was.

19 comments:

  1. I wish I could be around more of this sort of uncivilized behavior. It's so refreshing. And human. Maybe it's just the people I know, they bore me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my comment is re: the link. I'm now a big GK fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff and I were having a two-man 80s party the other night, and I starting voguing, while singing "Grace Kelly, Fred Astaire. Ginger Rogers danced on air!" And then Jeff looked at me like a strange bug. Alas.

    Anyway, Grace Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "They had style, they had grace. Rita Hayworth: A good face." I would have been right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A "visibly seedy underbelly"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any couple practicing the withdrawal method should keep baby wipes in the nightstand. And that's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And "baby wipes" is really an appropriate name here too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey E, I hate to be blowing in out of nowhere and flaunting my Madonna knowledge, but I'm pretty sure that Rita Hayworth "GAVE good face." I'm completely serious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. . . . and let me hasten to add that these biographical revelations lend new shades of meaning to the lyric, "They had Grace." Zing!

    By "hasten," I mean I cannot BELIEVE nobody beat me to that. Y'all are slipping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Gave good face"? Wow. That's more disgusting than seedy underbelly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I was wondering if I like had it wrong all these years re gave good face. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a shrine to Audrey Hepburn. Do you think this is because you are a blonde and I am a brunette? (Or is that too simple?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes people are that simple.

    I feel like Audrey, though of darker coloring, is a "lighter," "better" person, i.e. sweet and good. Didn't she like, volunteer in Africa and stuff? It's amazing how Angelina Jolie did that and still comes off like a wicked queen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Audrey was involved with the Resistance during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, when she was still basically a kid. It's not Angelina's fault that her historical moment has supplied limited opportunities for Nazi-resisting, but still: advantage Hepburn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I fail to see how it's not her fault ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love her entrance into Rear Window, leaning into the camera to kiss Jimmy Stewart awake. So lovely and cinematic...

    ReplyDelete