I assume this is a response to obsessive use of scare quotes in the style of Tao Lin. And hey, I'm not going to try to convince you to like this practice. But it seems a bit obtuse to claim you can't comprehend what it means. Perhaps these kids have never seen Chris Farley as Bennett Brauer?
For those who are genuinely confused, missed the '90s, etc.: You might as well be armed with the knowledge of what scare quotes mean, whether or not you choose to embrace them. So here's a list, probably not exhaustive, of things scare quotes can signify:
- These are someone else's words, not mine
- I'm using these words sarcastically
- I'm using these words metaphorically
- I'm making fun of people who use scare quotes with no irony
- I'm making fun of people who overuse scare quotes
- I'm making fun of Tao Lin