Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tutti Frutti

My second "On the Scent" column is up in the June Open Letters. This time I talk about the much-maligned genre of fruity perfumes:
Currently, fruity florals are riding out their moment in the sun, which means they get no love from “perfumistas.” Fruity fragrances are considered “ditzy” and unchallenging by perfume reviewers and bloggers, belonging to the realm of cheap body sprays and celebrity scents and suitable only, if ever, on tweens.

The question of age appropriateness is central to the matter. Classic perfumes smelled like flowers, exotic spices and resins, rare mammalian effluvia. They were often dry or powdery or sharp. Since our mothers and grandmothers wore these perfumes, they smell to the contemporary nose, by association, “old”...
Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I love that you travel in circles in which “My grandmother certainly wouldn’t be caught dead in Hidden Fantasy” is a common comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. And, you know, variations thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite fruity scent is Annick Goutal's My Petite Cherie. I think in Europe it's worn as a children's scent - it smells mostly of pear, and it lasts on your skin forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard about that scent but never tried it. The pear note seems like it would be hard to get right. I'll look for it next time I pass an Annick Goutal counter. The AG scent I currently want is Grand Amour...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your blog (I wandered over from Keith's recent kind round-up of his favorite blogs at The Robotto-Mulatto...we were both mentioned).

    Writing about fragrance is fascinating. I like how you make scent materialize.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, thanks! I hadn't even seen that yet. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dude how 'bout spreading the word on my "perfume that smells like food" idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is perfume that smells like food. Or do you mean, like, fried chicken? The savory food world is still mostly untackled, though some flowers have meat-like smells. The new Thierry Mugler is supposed to have a caviar note.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah i think a "caviar note" is too chi-chi for what i was envisioning. ensmellening

    ReplyDelete
  10. So what were you envisioning? There are some perfumes that smell like herbs and vegetables, at least in the top notes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fuck the herbs, you wanna smell like a big slabO meat dude. fish+chips? club sandwich. lasagna. cheeseBake

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dude I just remembered Burger King released a scent. It's supposed to smell like BK Broilers or whatever. No joke! (Unless the joke's on me.)

    ReplyDelete