Monday, July 5, 2010

Quick update

I'm back from a short vacation in Hendersonville, North Carolina, which is half an hour outside Asheville. We saw an awesome waterfall and fireflies at dusk every day. Also Chimney Rock and the Biltmore estate (The Largest Home in America -- that's copyrighted); we ate Southernish food (pickled beet salad, grit cakes, Tupelo honey, etc.); we played Trivial Pursuit. Basically, it was just nice.

While I was out: My latest perfume column went up. This month it's all about roses:
In some sense the soliflore is a naïve form of perfumery, one that tries to hold a mirror up to nature rather than creating something that didn’t before exist. The pleasure of smelling a soliflore is based in familiarity and recognition, not surprise, realization, or shock. Because they are representational rather than abstract, soliflores are inseparable from the associations that the flowers themselves trigger. And roses have a lot of old-fashioned, sentimental baggage to carry compared to, say, sexy night-blooming jasmine or tropical gardenia, so they’re even worse off in this format than other flowers...
Also while I was out: The ivy that's been moving around with me since college appears to have died. It's hot here.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! I'm wearing a brand new scent sent to me by J9 Hall Gailey. I loved it immediately. L'Eau Ambrée (Prada.)I don't know what the heck's in it but definitely patchouli which I love and maybe gardenia which I also love. Hmm. It smells kind of like the beach today after all the fires, the smoldering part. I am quite enjoying it though I doubt anyone would smell the beach in it but me.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. I remember when my married lover went to the Biltmore. Not with me of course.

    Still I got to hear all about it. And the art inside it.

    wv: ovelutst. Almost ovulating lust isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I've been trying to figure that one out -- I have a sample of it, but could barely smell it. It may be an issue of dabbing versus spraying. I hate sprayless sample vials! Sprayless sample vials be damned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* your writing about perfume. Glad to hear that you had a nice time in NC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather bathed in it. Did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes. With lighter scents I just get myself good and doused.

    ReplyDelete