Tuesday, July 13, 2010

They'd say you were drunk

Yesterday I left this in a comment on HTML Giant. It's an excerpt from A Handful of Dust (which, BTW, I never finished, because the last couple of chapters are like a totally different book). I love these witty British novels that wouldn't be half as funny if you weren't hearing the dialogue in an accent:
Half an hour later they got into Jock’s car. ‘Tell you what, I shouldn’t drive if I were you.’

‘Not drive?’

‘No, I shouldn’t drive. They’d say you were drunk.’

‘Who would?’

‘Anyone you ran over. They’d say you were drunk.’

‘Well, so I am.’

‘Then I shouldn’t drive.’

‘Too far to walk.’

‘We’ll take a taxi.’

‘Oh hell, I can drive.’

‘Or let’s not go to Brenda’s at all.’

‘We’d better go to Brenda’s,’ said Jock. ‘She’s expecting us.’

‘Well, I can’t walk all that way. Besides, I don’t think she really wanted us to come.’

‘She’ll be pleased when she sees us.’

‘Yes, but it’s a long way. Let’s go some other place.’

‘I’d like to see Brenda,’ said Jock. ‘I’m very fond of Brenda.’

‘She’s a grand girl.’

‘She’s a grand girl.’

‘Well, let’s take a taxi to Brenda’s.’

But halfway Jock said, ‘Don’t let’s go there. Let’s go to some other place. Let’s go to some low joint.’

‘All the same to me. Tell him to go to some lousy joint.’

‘Go to some lousy joint,’ said Jock, putting his head through the window.

The cab wheeled round and made towards Regent Street.

‘We can always ring Brenda from the lousy joint.’
SOTD: Byredo Bal d'Afrique, from a sample. Quite short-lived. At lunch I darted over to Sephora to look for a face scrub suitable for such dry, irritable skin as my own. While there I spritzed on some Acqua di Gio, and realized Kenzo Parfum d'Ete is a total ripoff of this. Mmmm, '90s.

Lunch: Leftover spaghetti (gluten-free) with Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce and fresh ricotta.

No comments:

Post a Comment