Monday, September 20, 2010

Odds & ends

* More info on the Poetry & Comedy reading: It's this Saturday, 9/25, at 7 p.m. It will be hosted by The Multifarious Array at Pete's Candy Store (709 Lorimer in Williamsburg, Brooklyn) and the full line-up is me, Evan Fleischer, Sommer Browning, Gabby Dunn, Mark Leidner, and Dan Magers. Some of these people are comics. Some of these people are poets. Some are both. You figure it out.

* I'm also reading in Boston next Monday, 9/27, an at event called the Drunken Poets' Dinner. Despite the name, it will be mixed-genre, and in keeping with the name, there will be lots of beer, because it's sponsored by Narragansett. There will also be tasty, fusion-y food. It's at Toro (in the South End) at 9:30 p.m. The event is invite-only (exxxclusive), but I have a limited number of invites to share. Email me if you're interested in going.

* I finally finished Howards End. It's one of the most feminist novels I've ever read, if not the most. And it was written in 1910. Who knew? I'd seen the movie a long time ago, but didn't really remember the plot, or even who played which sister, just a few striking scenes. So I got to experience the spoiler-free magic of both. I saw an article today asking why people read when we often can't remember much about a book as soon as a month after reading it. Whosy what? What does that have to do with anything? I don't read in the hopes of total recall (nor do I read the novelization of Total Recall, though my brother used to have it), I read for enjoyment, intellectual stimulation, and to learn. (By the way, people with severe memory problems can still learn.) I've forgotten most meals I've had, most conversations, most dreams, etc. Still glad I had 'em.

* My (aforementioned) brother works at the company that designed this Wii game. This is a "behind-the-scenes" version:



You can watch the straight trailer here. Pretty wild, huh?

8 comments:

  1. Love, love, love Howards End. Although I agree it's feminist, what struck me the most is how it dealt with differing perspectives of art and being an artist. Are you saying you liked it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! I dogeared about 20 pages because they had sentences or passages I liked so much I wanted to be able to go back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm in chapter 8. if this were a book club i'd get kicked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisa I just name-checked you in an Umbros poem, I hope you don't mind! I felt for some reason that you would know about Umbros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god. Like the shorts? At first I thought it was some advanced form I wasn't familiar with. Then I realized: Shorts.

    [Reading the poem]

    You just totally turned my day upside down. (It was frowning previously.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!

    Oh God "Umbros" should be an advanced poetic form, someone invent this

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I was confusing it with Umberto Eco and ourobouros.

    ReplyDelete