Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sandwiches within sandwiches

There's been a trend going on for a while of extreme fast food in which one type of greasy sandwich is embedded in another (e.g., a hamburger using grilled cheese sandwiches for buns). For the most part these recursive sandwiches wouldn't seem that appealing to me even if I ate bread or meat.


But finally there's a sandwich-within-a-sandwich concept I can get fully on board with: repochetas, or tacos made with quesadillas. Is that brilliant or what?

If Taco Bell did this (it's only a matter of time) they'd use burrito-size flour tortillas and fill them with beef paste or "grilled" "chicken" and probably shove the whole thing into another taco shell (crispy this time). And that would be sort of disgusting and the media would say it's not okay and if you're going to eat it you have to add more bread. But the key is using small corn tortillas and a very hot but mostly dry skillet, and a light filling. I made quesadilla tacos last night with just a schmear of refried beans on the inside topped with a kind of "salad" of shredded iceberg lettuce, chopped tomato, cilantro, and avocado in a light creamy lime dressing. (They didn't have any coleslaw mix at Whole Foods and I wasn't in the mood to shred my own cabbage.) And a dash of Tabasco. Two per person. Perfect.

5 comments:

  1. oh my god. i want that inside me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The repochetas, I hope, not the pictured sandy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, the picture! looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would you bite into it? Makes my jaw hurt just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. same way i eat a club sandwich--you just have to gnaw at it until it falls apart and you end up eating it with a fork.

    ReplyDelete