Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What We Talk About When We Talk About Bullets

  • I really wish people would stop using the "What We Talk About When We Talk About X" snowclone to title things. It's not clever! It's the (not-so-)new "Everything You Wanted to Know About X But Were Afraid to Ask."
  • Can I possibly keep this bullet thing going all week? Doubt it.
  • I made a pan of sweet potato enchiladas on Monday and I've been eating them all week. YUM. John is traveling but I'm trying to eat real meals anyway. The temptation to just eat breakfast again looms large.
  • Just tried another of the Lush scents, Lust. It smells just like their Flying Fox shower gel, i.e. jasmine + honey. I can see a lot of people hating this -- there really is something raunchy about it. I kind of love it.
  • So I got an electric toothbrush. Gum health and all that, you know. But I can't figure out how to use it! The first time I tried it, I put a little toothpaste on the head and then turned it on. Toothpaste goes flying. Now I'm sort of working the toothpaste around on my teeth first, then turning it on while it's in my mouth. It still makes a total fucking mess though. I have to keep pausing to spit, but if I don't turn it off each time, before taking it out of my mouth, watery toothpaste sprays everywhere. It'd be easier cleanup-wise to do this in the shower, but is that even safe? Also, after all this rigmarole, my teeth don't even seem clean. What the hell is going on?
  • On Lucky today: How to buy perfume.


  1. believe it or not, you get used to not being able to spit during the (usually 2 minutes) time that such toothbrushes do their work, or, you become the person who "lets the spit out" from time to time without stopping...
    i can't believe this is how i just responded to this post, but i remember when i first got an electric toothbrush. it's allowed me to keep the wisdom teeth that i was too scared to have removed.

  2. Did you always feel like it was getting your teeth clean?

  3. something tells me it's a scam. i've never heard a dentist recommend one, so i've never even considered using one. as long as you get the brush all the way back, floss, and use Act mouthwash, you should be ok.

  4. My dentist did recommend one, specifically because I have receding gums, which suggests I brush too hard, and this is supposed to help with that. Remains to be seen if it works.

  5. at first it doesn't feel like there's enough pressure, but you get used to that, and my dentist has said that it's the best way for me to keep those wisdom teeth clean. the deal was basically that i could keep the teeth as long as i kept them clean, so i've been pretty religious about the electric toothbrush since about age 19 or so. i've had no cavities in that time period, so i can say that it works for me.
    is this a crazy conversation for The French Exit, or is it just me?

  6. Martin got me an e-toothbrush for Valentine's Day one year (after my dentist recommended one) and it took me like a week to master the technique, but now I love it. Don't give up! And probably don't use it in the shower since that could be potentially fatal? I don't know.

  7. What bugs me more than the "What we talk about..." overuse is "Zen and the Art of ______". I once did a search on that phrase in WorldCat (over ten years ago), and came up with over 400 books that have "Zen and the Art of" in the title. Another pet peeve: "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a _____"

  8. Oh yeah, all of those are annoying. Those title snowclones seem to come and go in waves. A Brief History of [Some Broad Subject].

    I also hate the literary fiction title cliche of The Adjective Noun of Noun or The Noun of Adjective Noun, usually with some academic/latinate/philosophical vocab and abstractions like "The Physics of Imaginary Objects," "The Unbearable Lightness of Being," "The Luminosity of Infinite Jest" etc....