Monday, December 20, 2010

I get emotive on planes

  • What exactly is the criterion for making it into the Criterion Collection? (Apparently there's only one.) We watched The Night of the Hunter last night, the only film actor Charles Laughton ever directed. This isn't really surprising because, aside from one awesome sequence in which two children float down a river in a skiff under the starlight, with impassive fauna looking on from the banks, it's pure amateur hour. It meets my youth & malice criterion, but not my "worth two hours of my life" criterion.

  • I promised I'd remind you to vote for The French Exit in the Goodreads Choice Awards. How can you say no to this face?

    The French Exit
  • I'm flying to Texas tomorrow. I don't know about you, but I always feel sad on planes. Once I cried during a Cameron Diaz movie. Aside from any trashy magazines I buy at the airport, I'll be reading Indecision.

  • There's a radio station in Boston with the call letters WODS. When they say it on the air it sounds like "Odious."
  • 4 comments:

    1. I was very emotive on several planes last weekend but for relatively transparent reasons.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I haven't been on a plane since 1996. I have a feeling the next time I step in a airport, "emotive" will lead to a full-on meltdown. Pass the ativan, please.

      Have a good trip to Texas!

      ReplyDelete
    3. riding on planes gives me a headache and fucks up my ears. fortunately i never have to fly as far as you do.

      curious to know what you think of Indecision. i abandoned it after 50 pages.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Sarang, Maybe the change in altitude or air pressure or what have you has some legitimate effect on your emotional state.

      JoanElaine, lucky you! There's no other good way to get to TX, unfortch.

      Matt, I'm already on pg. 100 so I think I will stick it out. It's no tour de force or anything but I "want to know what happens"

      ReplyDelete