Thursday, December 30, 2010

The most depressing time of the year

  • Don't you hate the week or so following Christmas? The going back to work and having to take down your sad-ass decorations, the finding out your health insurance costs have gone up, etc. It seems like it always snows a lot while I'm in Texas, so I miss the first prettiness and just get the disgusting aftermath.
  • Men are really polite in El Paso. They say "sir" and "ma'am" sincerely. They also stare at me in a way that no one does up here. I guess I pass for exotic in Texas. At my brother's wedding, all the Austinites said I looked like a Boston native. When did that happen?
  • Things I did in El Paso: Went on gasping, tearful runs (so sunny and dusty and altitudinous), ate lots of tacos, hung out with high school friends, watched Eclipse and old House episodes with my mom, found out my real bra size. I also dabbled in meat eating, since I'd been thinking about it for a while and it was there for the taking. Specifically I ate some of the green beans with bacon that my cousin's wife brought for Christmas dinner, and after Christmas my mom made this Cajun dish I used to love, basically red beans and rice but with white beans, using the ham bone, and I ate that too. Observations: Meat doesn't taste any different than it ever did, not more or less delicious, but I still can't imagine eating a big hunk of it in isolation. I still don't want to buy it. I don't know when I'll eat it again. It didn't make me sick, which was my main worry.
  • Don't hump my leg and tell me it's an earthquake. Is that a saying? It should be.

10 comments:

  1. I don't mind this time of year - the most depressing time for me is late February/early March when you think spring is just around the corner and Old Man Winter still has his tight-fisted hold on things.

    Oh and there's no better thing that getting fitted correctly for one's bra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, February/early March in Boston are awful!

    I was always paranoid to do it because I didn't want to find out I was even smaller than I thought. Turns out I had the same problem almost everyone has, the number I was wearing was too high and the cup size was too small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about Christmas -- probably being surrounded by people -- that makes me sick. I keep hoping that someone will be useful and gift me an appropriate quantity of Kleenex but for some reason this never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I empathize. My allergies were raging all week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the bra thing just has to happen at some point. Way to take the plunge!

    January and February both suck for me. The week between Christmas and New Years is a restful, reflective time because I take it off every year. Yup, every frigging year.

    I've been on my laptop for two hours now...will get off my ass at some point. Maybe.

    Happy New Year! Your blog is a fun discovery of my 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you too, Josephine! I used to always take that week off as well, but this year I took off most of the week before Christmas, and a few days after, instead. Today is my one day working this week, then tomorrow's off again. The office is mostly empty of course, and it's pretty hard to get motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Supposedly there was an earthquake in central Indiana this morning, but I was there and I didn't feel anything.

    I feel lousy today because I only got an hour of sleep last night because I had to get up at 5:15 to catch a plane because the plane I was supposed to catch on Sunday afternoon was cancelled because of the blizzard. Lack of sleep always gives me this heavy feeling of dread. Plus my internet is down (I'm out at the moment) and I missed four extra days of work (around $250 worth) and I have to go to work tomorrow which means I have to try to fall asleep earlier than usual tonight to make up for the sleep I missed, which won't be easy because I'll be worrying about it so much.

    That's why I never schedule morning flights, and why I hate this damn blizzard for turning a pleasant visit home suddenly depressing.

    I also miss my family, which is getting smaller and older.

    So yeah, I'm ready for summer, long story short.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I forgot to mention what I *didn't* do in El Paso, which is anything with John, because his flight down to EP on Sunday was cancelled and they couldn't rebook him until after his return flight. My flights were all fine, but they get whacked out like half the time around Xmas. One of the more annoying things about living in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't travel during the holidays (everyone lives here in town) -- I've always been glad I don't have to deal with airports this time of year. When I was a kid, the relatives on both sides of the family lived in Iowa, so it was a four-hour drive (or sometimes a Greyhound ride) south and then back.

    I've never been in El Paso, or anywhere in Texas, and for some reason it hadn't occurred to me that EP is higher altitude. (Minneapolis is officially something like 800 or 900 feet above sea level.)

    The first time I experienced high altitude was three years ago in Albuquerque (ca. 5500 feet). I went for a walk, just a calm walk for a few blocks, and I kept getting out of breath after a block or so. Also I noticed going up and down stairs took great effort. Then it dawned on me it was because the air was thinner. After a day or so I adjusted and felt fine.

    I didn't feel sad or depressed this season. Something to do with the excitement (i.e. terror) of mountain-climbing the snow drifts and baby-stepping on the ice. Last I heard we've had 34 inches of snow here this month, and may get another inch or so tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. El Paso is at 3800, which isn't, you know, Denver, but it's noticeable compared to Boston.

    That is a lot of snow!

    ReplyDelete