Friday, February 18, 2011

Things that blew my mind

When I first met my friend Chris Starkey, the architect, we spent obscene amounts of time together. Well, that's not true; when we first met, he didn't really like me, but I was pushy, and then we became very tight. (You know when you get a girl crush? It was like that, but Starkey is a man, so it was like a regular crush, except we mostly wanted to be friends.) Once, we were sitting on the back porch at my old apartment in Central Square, which was in the progress of being built, and Starkey was having a cigarette and I was just sitting; it was our second or third consecutive day of hanging out, and he asked me if I wanted to go with him to some show or another, and I said, "Aren't you worried you're going to get sick of me?" And he said, quite seriously, but also kindly, "I'm already sick of you."

In other news: Janaka Stucky has started a write-in campaign to get me voted Best Poet in Boston by the Phoenix. This wasn't my idea, but hey: why not? (Janaka himself currently holds the title.) He explains the whole thing here, or you can just vote here. Or you can tell me, Janaka, the Phoenix and poetry in general to suck it. But in your head, please, not in the comments, because that would be mean.

4 comments:

  1. I approve! Take that Louise Gluck. Incidentally I quite like "in the progress of being built" as a variant of "in the process..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh! I typed it without thinking, and your comment made me wonder if it was an error on my part, but I think it is an idiom, just a lesser used one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I _think_ that's right, it's just about rare enough to snag a reader's attention.

    ReplyDelete