Sunday, May 1, 2011

Are You "Sure"?

My latest perfume column is up, and it's on deodorants. Yes, deodorants! I reviewed the scents (not the functionality) of 19 deodorants and antiperspirants for men and women. Go read the astonishing results. Here's an excerpt:
Dove Ultimate Cool Essentials Cucumber & Green Tea – Great branding here: this actually does smell cool and green. In functional settings, cucumber is usually combined with melon, a tired, sour combination that never fails to remind me of Tranquil Breezes, a scent Victoria’s Secret used to carry in the early ‘90s, which was wildly popular with sixth graders. By skipping the extra melon (cucumber already has a similar smell profile) and adding green tea, Dove achieves an accord that feels both fresh and refreshing. Unlike Original Clean, this one smells a little sweeter and fruitier on skin than in the packaging. I can see women wanting to smell like this all over, and accordingly Dove sells lotion and body spray in the same scent. A pleasant, summer-appropriate deodorant.

Mitchum Power Gel Shower Fresh – A more literal interpretation of the “clean” theme, Mitchum Shower Fresh actually smells like bleach: tile cleaner with a splash of Diet Sprite, a real nose-burner of a fragrance. Why smell like you just got out of the shower when you can smell like the shower itself? This is the one that I already owned – there was no unscented option when I purchased it, and it seemed like the next best thing – so I can report that the scent fades quickly after application. (And you know antiperspirant works better if you put it on at night, right?)
In other news, I'm reading at the Massachusetts Poetry Festival in a couple of weeks. I'll be "opening" for the headline event on Saturday night, May 14, at 7:30 pm, also starring Mark Doty, Patricia Smith and musician Kim Richey. Read more about the performers here. The festival is a weekend-long event in Salem and other poets present will include Aimee Nezhukumatathil, Brian Brodeur, Brian Turner, Daniel Pritchard, David Rivard, Gail Mazur, January O'Neil, Jericho Brown, Mike Young, Simeon Berry, Stephen Sturgeon and many more. Check it out if you're local.

8 comments:

  1. Elisa, I admire your willingness to use your blog as a vehicle of self promotion as well as an avenue to share your thoughts. From one feminist to another, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Josephine -- I've never enjoyed reading blogs that exist solely for self-promotion, but as a writer, I've got to do it somewhere! Happy May Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I can't believe there's so much Old Spice going on in your review. Just those two words and I feel like my father, circa 1989, just walked into the room!

    I use the Arm and Hammer natural "scentless" stick (I don't know why brands think they can get away with calling anything "scentless")-- it survives runs, classes, love and other indoor sports, etc. I also have ToM's scentless stick but it doesn't work as well.

    Thanks for the post. I'm such a drugstore product review junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B, I didn't expect to like those newfangled Old Spice ones at all (I am entirely unmoved by the Old Spice commercials), but Matterhorn is totally good! If it came in a spray, I'd totally wear it as perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Matterhorn!" I'm so sure! Every Real Man's got one! Hahahaha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you are going to have so much fun with Jericho. Yes, I would go gay for Jericho if that was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I met him briefly at a reading a while back and he seemed like a bucket of fun/loaded gun/etc.

    ReplyDelete