Friday, July 1, 2011

Rocky Mountain Hi

Hi guys! I'm back. Did you notice I went away? I've got some news: I'm moving to Denver! This weekend I flew down to El Paso for the wedding of my best friend in junior high and high school, then drove up to Denver with my parents and found an apartment. I absolutely love it, and it's hundreds of dollars cheaper per month than our current place. YAYZ. We'll be there by the end of August. Come see us in the West?

Also, my latest perfume column is up. It's called "Materialism" because I focused on three common materials, labdanum, vetiver and galbanum. Here's an excerpt:
Describing a perfume is a lot like describing a wine – to the uninitiated outsider, the descriptions often sound like bullshit. It seems implausible at first that anyone could pick out “aldehydes,” “jasmine,” “rose,” and “musk” in what strikes you as a singular, whole scent. Similarly, it’s hard to believe a wine could taste like hay or butterscotch or cedar, until you try a wine that, due to whatever whims of earth and weather, tastes exactly as though it was barreled in a cedar chest. From that point forward you’re able to pick up hints of cedar in the occasional wine, because they’ll remind of you the first.

The same is true of perfumes. You learn to smell individual “notes” by sampling an array of perfumes that purport to contain a note – and by doing a kind of mental subtraction to strip away the rest – or by smelling perfumes that showcase that note. (For floral notes, these are known as soliflores.) Once you realize, “Oh, that’s what orange blossom (or galbanum or castoreum) smells like,” you’re able to recognize its character in complex compositions and in smaller concentrations...
Go read it! And the rest of the July issue! Go!

14 comments:

  1. Great news, Elisa! Glad to have you in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We will have to meet up in the real world. Remind me, are you in Denver or Boulder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisa, that's awesome! Now you can visit DSH Studio, a mere 30 miles from Denver. What prompted the move?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is going to be so much easier for you to come visit San Francisco! Oh, and this issue of Open Letters (USA) looks really nice. Thinking of my friend Karen Hannah's review of Jenny Boully's new book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be passing through Denver this summer myself while visiting my family in various spots across Colorado. Congrats on the move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark and Francois, i definitely plan to visit the west coast more often now!

    Josephine, I've been wanting to move out of Boston for a long time, it was just a matter of finding the right destination and the right time. somehow we settled on Denver. We've got some built-in friends there, and there's a good arts & writing scene, and it's more affordable than Boston, and beautiful, and closer to my family. And yes, DSH! Perfume proximity is another plus!

    Thanks Steven! When will you be passing through?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in Longmont, about 20 minutes from Boulder, though I'm in Boulder frequently. I'll have to take you and your sweetie to The Med, where they have the best tapas on the planet.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steven, sounds like we'll miss each other. Hope you pass through again.

    Jeffery, that sounds most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be sad I will not run into you at poetry events in Boston, though the amount of wonderful people in Denver makes it a destination indeed! They're lucky to have you both and I am excited for you and hope you guys love it!

    (oh, and since you're non-facebook: I'm reading at Ipsum Lorem on Sunday, the 17th with MC Hyland, Mary Walker Graham, and more. If you're around, please do come!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Jeremiah! That would be July 17 I presume -- we may be in Connecticut that weekend. Which is too bad, because that sounds like a really awesome reading. If we're here, I'll definitely go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, I won't be gone forever. I mean, maybe I won't. Maybe in 10 years I'll be unpoor enough to move to New York.

    ReplyDelete