Monday, October 31, 2011

Clean Part

I'm reading in the Clean Part Reading Series in Lincoln, Nebraska on November 12 with the lovely Lily Brown. Lily and I both have distinctive noses. Here's info from the Clean Part blog:

On Saturday, November 12, please join us at 7 pm to hear Lily Brown and Elisa Gabbert read for The Clean Part. Free and open to the public, drop by Drift Station Gallery, located at 1746 N Street in downtown Lincoln (corner of 18th St), to hear some wonderful poetry and win some November-ish raffle prizes! See you soon!  
Lily Brown’s first book, Rust or Go Missing, is available from Cleveland State University Poetry Center. Recent poems are out or forthcoming in Gulf Coast, Catch Up, Transom, and 6x6. She is from Massachusetts, but currently lives in Athens, GA.  
Elisa Gabbert is the author of two collections of poetry: The French Exit (Birds LLC, 2010) and Thanks for Sending the Engine, a chapbook (Kitchen Press, 2007). Her poems have recently appeared or are forthcoming in Another Chicago Magazine, The Awl, Denver Quarterly, Sentence and other journals. Her nonfiction has appeared in Mantis, Open Letters Monthly, and The Monkey & The Wrench: Essays into Contemporary Poetics. She lives in Denver and blogs at The French Exit. 

Here's a video of Lily reading one of my favorite poems of hers, "Leaf at the End."

 

And -- what the hell? -- here's me (or rather my doppelganger, Elissa) reading a poem, "Walks Are Useless II."

 

14 comments:

  1. I just read that 9% of nose have a bump.
    It's to prevent your glasses from breaking the speed limit as they slide down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the 9%! Was that that weird article that said there are 14 types of nose or whatever?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's the article. I have it too, an adam's apple in my nose. Or maybe a bell curve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Link to the article, won't you please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw it months ago and have no idea where. I'd google "types of noses" and probably whatever turns up will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is almost certainly true--I'll give it a whirl.

    Wait--is this it?

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2013699/There-14-types-nose--yours.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is different from the one I saw, which involved a slide show, but same diff -- clearly based on the same "study." I think this was it:

    http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/02/7181806-there-are-14-different-kinds-of-noses-study-claims

    According to Wikipedia, Aquiline and Roman noses are the same thing? I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I think a nose with an eagle-beak hook is the same as a Schnozz Romana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all this talk of noses! Mine comes from my lovely grandpa, Leo Swartz; he had quite a schnozz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And a very solid grandpa name!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes. If I ever have a son, his name will be Leo, no question.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's weird about that 14-noses article is that all the human examples are Caucasian. I think I have a snub nose.

    Break a leg at your reading, Elisa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I think he specified that there are 14 types for white people. The whole thing is weird....

    ReplyDelete