Monday, November 28, 2011

I, too, dislike Mondays

  • Arielle Weinberg of Scents of Self recently 1) sent me a bagful of Bond No. 9 samples (I'm wearing the deliciously outre Broadway Nite today) and 2) interviewed me about perfume and such on her blog. Thank you Ari! 
  • Because the weather in Denver is frequently beautiful, we ate our Thanksgiving dinner outside in late afternoon sunshine, and after dinner we played games. John claims to have discovered the secret to Balderdash: picture a completely different word. Otherwise your definition will be too plausible, and the real one usually isn't.
  • A fun variation on Balderdash AKA Dictionary that I learned in grad school: the quotation game. Use a copy of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, and instead of providing a word, provide the first few words of a (less familiar) quotation; players supply the rest, and, as in Balderdash, vote for the version they think is real.
  • Been listening to (for some reason this song reminds me of the ends of '80s movies, all triumph and emotion, see The Breakfast Club and Teen Wolf):
  • More creamy comfort food for you to make! This soup, adapted from here, tastes more like potato soup than cauliflower, but I prefer the texture to potato soup, which tends to be grainy. It also reminds me of clam chowder, which also gives me texture issues (chewy clams).
Chowdery Cauliflower Soup 
1/2 pound bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, cleaned well and chopped
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
4 cups chicken stock
4 oz. cream cheese, cut into chunks
2-4 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions or chives
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese  
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon pieces until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside. Add onion and leeks to saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until softened and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Turn up the heat, add cauliflower and chicken stock and stir, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. When liquid comes to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until cauliflower is tender enough to mash, 15-20 minutes. Add the cream cheese and mash the cauliflower with a potato masher or blend with an immersion blender. (I mashed it until chunky and then pureed half in a blender.) Stir in 2/3 to 3/4 of the bacon and green onions, saving the rest for garnish. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot soup garnished with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, and chopped chives.


  1. I have no real hard feelings towards Mondays in general: I don't like only those that come after vacations and long weekends. But I love Garfield and enjoy that line of him hating Mondays - so I sympathize with the notion.

    Thank you for the recipe, I wanted to try some new soup.

  2. Agreed, those Mondays are the worse. I hope you like the soup! I think even a non-cauliflower-lover would enjoy it.

  3. well, you are just full of good suggestions today. even if you dislike mondays. soup season is starting here, even though today it was warm enough to eat outdoors (if such a thing were possible in cambridge), and this recipe looks like a great idea for me & my immersion blender. the trouble with not eating bacon, though, is that there really are no substitutes.

  4. It's true -- I tried making vegetarian potato soup a couple of times but without bacon and chicken broth, a potato is just a potato.

  5. thanks for that soup - I can actually cook that! and nothing makes me happier in the winter than comfort food - mac and cheese, etc.

    oh, and loved the interview. still hope to read a perfume book from you someday (the fact that I have about 10 ideas for that book is not good.)

    keep being snobby.

  6. You know me, I'll keep snob-snob-snobbin' it up.

    Also: Fuck yeah Pentatonix.

  7. A game very similar to your quotation completion one exists, and it is called "Wise and Otherwise" ( It involves proverb completion and I played it on Thanksgiving. :)

  8. Bronwen, my brother and I used to play a game like that online ... on COMPUSERVE! One memorable completion of his: "If this be freedom, I be a fish"

  9. Wait, that wasn't it. It was "If this be treason, I be a fish." Much better.