Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Capital my dear fellow

There's a burnt out blotch on the LED screen of my laptop, which is about a year old. Sucks because I specifically bought an ASUS because I heard they were one of the more reliable brands (though to be honest I previously always owned Dells and they all lasted for years and gave me no problems, go figure). I've been putting off taking it in, even though it's under warranty, because I wasn't sure how long I'd have to be without it. I can use my work laptop, but it's tiny and clunky and I DO NOT PREFER IT. Also, for a while there I was working on My New Project (Operation YA Novel) every night and didn't want to break my stride. But then I didn't work on it at all for like six days so I figured I might as well take the thing in. Drove to Best Buy after work and they put the fear in me SO BAD I drove back home to back everything up AGAIN. The important stuff has been recently backed up "in the cloud" (Gmail/Dropbox) and older files (most of my music and pictures, archived writing, etc.) are on an external hard drive and probably at least one portable jump drive too. Still, the guy made it sound like it's likelier than not that they'll either wipe the entire hard drive or just send me a new computer. They offered to back it up for me there -- for a hundred bucks! And I actually considered it, so I wouldn't have to turn around and make another trip, which officially makes me a dick, especially because after reluctantly taking my laptop back, I went into the DSW next door and spent almost $200 on new running shoes (which, to be fair, I have needed for literally four years) and three pairs of black heels (which, to be fair, I really need one pair of, and two of them were on clearance). Ugh, LIFE, you know?

Why does no one love Mates of State as much as me? John actively hates them, as in refuses to listen to them in the car, which is true for me of Tom Waits. There are probably only 20-30 albums that we both genuinely love. SO MUCH FOR COMPATIBILITY.

 

I want to watch every movie I ever had on VHS, in a row.

8 comments:

  1. i don't like mates of state, but they used to (or still do?) have a blog on babble.com that was cute. and their two daughters are named magnolia and june, which i also think is cute. very cute all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? I'm the only one.

    That all sounds a little too cute, actually. I just like their crisp melodeez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!!! I hope I don't disappoint everyone I've told by not ever finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I kinda liked them. Started out sounding like Blondie and then like The Cranberries and then I don't know who, but I liked them, go figure.

    Good luck with that YA project. My ex-brother-in-law has done VERY well with it . . . it eventually even got him a co-authoring gig with James Patterson (http://www.amazon.com/Middle-School-Worst-Years-Life/dp/0316101877).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whimsy, I highly recommend the album Rearrange Us.

    Wow! Part of the problem with this project is that the pressure to succeed is much greater, because one actually *can* succeed this way...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like My Solo Project and Team Boo. Our Constant Concern has some gems, but doesn't work for me all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm most familiar with Team Boo and Rearrange Us (my fave)

    ReplyDelete