Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I'll love you foreverish

The Voice is on again, and I'm watching it again. Lindsey Pavao is my early favorite, even though (or because) she's similar to last year's runner-up Dia Frampton (whom, the reigning wisdom is, would have won if not for Justin Bieber telling all his Twitter followers to vote for Javier Colon), and especially even though in her intro clip she claimed to like "experimental music," then named Nirvana and Radiohead as examples. Still, I love her smooth, ultra-atmospheric version of this shitty in-da-club-type song:



The judges are being pickier this year, which is good, because last year I felt the early rounds were muddied up by a lot of male genre singers (country, rock) who were competent but not very original/interesting. They got weeded out quickly, but still. I think it's generally easier for men to win over the judges with mere confidence + competence, because men project "confidence" in more blatant ways; they may also be more confident because they get praise all the time that isn't centered around their looks.

In other TV news:
  • The Christmas episode of Downton Abbey made me cry. HAPPY TEARS.
  • I'm really pissed about what's going on with Blair on Gossip Girl right now. Two, three episodes ago she was telling Chuck that even though she thought she loved her husband (then fiance) Louis, deep inside she had always loved him (Chuck), still loved him (more every day, "if it's even possible to love someone that much"!) and would always love him. And now, suddenly, she's hot for Dan instead?  I'm supposed to believe this shit? That really, really deep inside, she loved Dan all along, like some kind of romantical turducken? UGH
I'm such a sucker for drawn-out, semi-doomed relationships, and this is why I hate TV: Screw you for making me care about fake people via transparent plot machinations and emotional manipulation!

What else? I don't know. I spent two hours at the DMV yesterday, but on the plus side they didn't tell me any of my documentation was wrong/insufficient, which usually happens, and I am now the proud owner of Colorado plates, which match the color of my car. Also, I'll be at AWP next week. Say hi if you see me! Wave if you can see me?

4 comments:

  1. i'm glad to know you'll be at AWP. we should finally meet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

    chuck and blair foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr. i know we talked about this on twitter, but i don't get the blair/dan thing at all, either. the writers just want to make it all messier and more drama-filled, i guess. dan in particular is super SNOOZE this season and i would much prefer blair with the bloodless louis, even, rather than weirdly obsessive yet boring dan. you know chuck is still her "lobster," as they say, but it's a show so they have to torture us until eventually the show will end and chuck and blair will live happily ever after or one of them will die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, I missed you last year!! It's weird how long you can know someone in the poetry world without meeting them face to face. Look 4 me!

    I actually kind of want Serena and Dan to get back together -- but also for both of them to be less boring and predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a shame about the DMV. The one in Longmont is usually really fast. Unless you're trying to get your license, which is a separate office and takes forever.

    I have half a mind to hop on a flight to Chicago for a day at AWP. The last one I went to was also Chicago.

    Hope you have a great time and meet a lot of friends.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one I went to was a madhouse! I still have to get get my license converted to a CO license at some point.

    If that half of a mind wins, find me and say hi!!

    ReplyDelete