Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How to pronounce my name

I just got back from AWP, and meeting people that I know from the Internet is always a reminder that people usually mispronounce my name in their heads. So here it is, the definitive guide to pronouncing my name:

  1. It rhymes with Lisa. Not Liza, and not Lissa. The middle vowel is a long e (represented as "i" in the international phonetic alphabet). This is the most important thing.
  2. The s is unvoiced. (A voiced s, or alveolar sibilant, becomes a z.)
  3. The first vowel is less important. I pronounce it as a schwa. Some people pronounce it as another long e like the middle vowel. A little over-enunciated perhaps, but not wrong.
  4. The last vowel is another schwa. (No one ever gets this wrong.)
Now it's like we're in the same room!

More links!
Martin made this valentine (click it to enlarge):



It's my favorite thing. The line is from a poem Kathy and I wrote. The back says, "I don't know about you but I find the dead of winter romantic."

xoxo

12 comments:

  1. I love that you picked this Valentine! Martin didn't even want to make Valentines at first, but then he turned out to be a genius at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to make them very quickly. I'm glad you got this one, EG.

      Points owed to Susan Yount for having lots of crafting materials at the ready, including a laminating machine. Is it possible to laminate, say, an entire uprooted African violet? Holy god, let's find out!

      I'm a little disappointed to learn that no one has ever called you "uh-lees-AY!"

      Delete
    2. That peacock is such a bad mofo.

      Delete
  2. e-lee-sa. yes? that's how i say it in my head and how i introduced you to my friend at the birds llc table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it right as far as I remember. Rhymes with Lisa!

      Delete
  3. Okay, I now brag that I said your name correctly when we met briefly at AWP in Washington last year. :)

    (It wouldn't have occurred to me to call you "Eliza," because the only Eliza I've ever known of is Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady, and, well, no.)

    I was at AWP in Chicago this year -- apparently we didn't happen to cross paths. I've written about it in my blog, here, if you care to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid I always got Elissa, but these days I get Eliza a lot -- maybe that name is coming back in style?

      Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  4. I pronounce your last name with a silent "T."

    By the way, there is a review of The French Exit by Fox Henry Frazier in the latest issue of Mantis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is? Thanks for telling me! I will look for an issue .. can I order one from the Mantis site?

      Keeping it francais ...

      Delete
  5. I'll scan it for you tomorrow when I get to the office.

    The website hasn't been updated yet, but you can find it at http://mantisjournal.stanford.edu

    ReplyDelete