Thursday, September 27, 2012

Little fascist panties


  • I've had an aural craving lately for vintage Tori Amos -- strictly the first three albums.
  • Also craving '90s-era country music. Deana Carter, Dixie Chicks ... 
  • Last Friday I was in a delight with a handful of crayons, to borrow a phrase from Anne Sexton. My mom saw my blog post and sent me a 64-pack in the mail. Isn't that the greatest? Now I just need a coloring book. Do you think I can find one based on famous paintings instead of cartoon characters? But check this awesomeness out: On the back of the box (above the sharpener, natch), there's a URL where you can go and enter a code from the inside of the box, then upload a photo and turn it into a printable, black-and-white outline. You can make your own face into a picture page!
  • I just skimmed an article in Harper's over lunch that was called "Why Vote? When Your Vote Counts for Nothing." I thought it was going to be the typical economist's take on voting, which reasons that voting is irrational, at least in major elections, because your particular vote is so unlikely to make a difference, your chances are greater of winning the Powerball jackpot multiple times. But instead it was about how politicians lie to get elected, and voting is pointless because, once elected, the candidate you voted for may do the exact opposite of his stated plan. So, essentially, even if your party's votes matter en masse, your votes are rendered meaningless by an increasingly corrupt government. Super uplifting! 

9 comments:

  1. Hey Elisa,
    Most museums have artist coloring books in their children's store. Here's a website for one for Kandinsky:
    http://www.wetpaintart.com/browse.cfm/coloring-book:-wassily-kandinsky/4,7337.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisa, score on the crayons - what a great Mom! Tori Amos's first album changed my life when it came out and I love it still.

    As a pragmatist, I assume that politicians are doing what they feel they must to get elected. My rule of thumb in voting is this: Who says the least amount of stupid shit on a daily basis? Who can I feel fairly comfortable is not an absolute moron? Narrows the field rather quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I was just a kid at the time and it was definitely the most intense music I had listened to up to that point. However, I always, always skipped "Me and a Gun." that was TOO intense for me!

      Yes, I think the article rested on an unspoken assumption that people vote based on the candidate's election platform. When in fact a lot of people are just voting for whoever everyone they know is voting for, or picking the least worst candidate, etc...

      Delete
    2. Totally with you on the 'Me and a Gun.' Made me feel sad and kind of killed the buzz of her other music. Tracy Chapman had a song like that on her debut album - can't remember the name - but I tried to skip it, too.

      Delete
  3. For me, there is no Tori after the first three albums. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some stuff I like on that two-disc album with all the electronic stuff-- To Venus and Back. But definitely not the same!

      Delete
  4. I was just tweeting with somebody about Tori and remembered this post I meant to come back and comment on:

    That Tori album was basically the first 'adult' album I had as a kid that wasn't the score to a musical, and it coloured so much of my emotional landscape of the time. I remember a girl I knew in drama class who told me that Tori Amos had really shot and killed her abusive boyfriend, so that song was even more intense for me.

    If you get a kick out of karaoke, you may be elated, as I was, to discover Precious Things (bizarrely) seems to appear in most catalogues. Nothing like channeling your inner 13-year-old and scream-singing into the mic about pretty girls and fascist panties and especially that oh-so-intense (and borderline bewildering at the time...even though i FELT like i understood it) line "just cos you can make me cum that doesn't make you je-ee-sus!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love karaoke and never thought to look for a Tori song. The possibilities!

      Someone told me last night that she has had "a lot of work done" and looks totally ruined, which breaks my heart.

      Delete