Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On the radio

Thank you to Amy Fladeboe for inviting me to be a part of her weekly podcast series on KMSU in Minnesota. You can download the MP3 here. I read a few poems from The French Exit and talk about where the name came from, how we (me and Birds LLC) put the book together, what a "blogpoem" is, "the fecund other," etc. Possibly not interesting to anyone but my mom. Incidentally:

  • Grobstein informs me that another term for a French exit is "sketch bounce." 500 years from now, when Modern English becomes Olde English, they'll have to add a footnote.
  • Where did the phrase "the fecund other" come from? Is it even a phrase? I heard Kathleen Rooney say it years ago and I think of it often, but Google suggests it's pretty obscure.
  • People always say they hate the sound of their own voice in recordings. I once read that it's because when you talk, you're picking up on vibrations in your own jaw which make your voice sound deeper and more resonant than it really is. I don't hate the sound of my voice at all, but it definitely doesn't sound like me to me. I think I sound younger and sweeter than I really am. So how come everyone thinks I'm a bitch, HM? They're hearing THAT person.


  1. I picked it up at Emerson, either from Gail Mazur or John Skoyles, and I *think* it was the latter.

  2. Google Book Search tells me the phrase can be found in the book *The American Love Lyric After Auschwitz & Hiroshima* by Barbara L. Estrin.

  3. Martin suggests another good term would be "feckless other" and then each poem could start, "Look, dude," or maybe just "Dude."

    1. One of the blogpoems DOES start with "Dude." !

  4. Both "feckless" and "fecund" go well with the other -> udder replacement game. Both were new to me.