Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lifehack: Squint

At some point in the last six months or so, I ran across this article that suggests squinting slightly for better portraits, among other facial gymnastics. The squinting tip stuck out to me because years/decades earlier, I'd heard the opposite, that you should open your eyes really wide. (Either way, you're supposed to stick your chin out, which I always forget.) I have the sense that wide eyes make you look cute/young, whereas the squint makes you look intense/penetrating, i.e more C-level, or at least more promoteable! So I asked my boss, Larry, who is pretty handy with a camera, to take a new headshot for my work blog and LinkedIn profile. (Yes, I have a LinkedIn profile! I work in an office! I'm an office douche!) Anyway, I tried out the squint, and here are the results:


It kind of works, right?! Doesn't it seem like I'm having thoughts? Intelligent, important ones? Or do I just look kind of mean? Is there a difference?

18 comments:

  1. Oh it totally looks like you are having thoughts.

    I am very sensitive to this because I have kind of huge eyes that tend to look crazy all the time... especially in photos. Squinting FTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must give it a shot then! In general, I think having huge eyes is "a good problem to have."

      Delete
  2. All of the pictures I see of you are slightly left of mainstream in a sort of thoughtful, intelligent, quirky kind of beauty...the best kind, if you ask me. The inside and outside of you appear to be congruent. How lucky are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel similarly when I see pictures of you! You also radiate this quality like you probably give great hugs.

      Delete
  3. You look like you've just been arrested for something like--like clocking someone who took cuts in a WalMart check-out queue.

    No, kidding. You look great. I like this photo better than the one you've been using for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice smize.

    And nice photo! You look relaxed and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would make a great cover photo for your next book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, the squint is definitely the thinking woman's "smize". : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thinking woman's smize! I love it.

      Delete
  7. It looks much more like composed and confident than the blog pic I think. I notice the squint but I think the head angle gives the thing a pronounced domain-surveying-ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you're telling me a joke and I'm thinking about how I should fire you?

      Delete
  8. Definitely "tolerant of an annoying child's antics" to my eye. Maybe I'm not looking at enough LinkedIn profiles?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly I should be applying for nanny jobs!

      Delete
  9. You look sophisticated (but I really want to comb/photoshop off that hair lock in the top right sector).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that bothered my manager too. I decided it gives the whole thing a little sprezzatura.

      Delete