Sunday, June 2, 2013

My new favorite thing

is this eye shadow palette I got for $5 at T.J. Maxx:


Isn't it beauteous? It's the e.l.f. "Little Black Beauty Book (warm edition)." Like my 64-pack of crayons, the pleasure I'm getting from this is as much purely aesthetic as it is functional, meaning, using them will be great (I've dipped into two shades so far; you can the surface of the medium brown one up from the bottom in the far-right row on the left-hand panel is marred) but I really just like looking at them. Colors! I might just attack that aqua at two over, three down when I head out to Jazz in the Park later today. That's the other thing about this palette, it makes me feel like I'm playing Battleship.

I have a confession to make: I have a T.J.Maxx problem. About once every six weeks I can't resist driving to T.J.Maxx (the one I go to is like 8 miles away, which makes it feel all the more illicit) and blowing like $100 on fancy hand soap and other sundry crap. The last time I went, it was more like $200 – I found some great Paige jeans and the floral Tahari dress that I wore to my "wedding," both heavily marked down but still somewhat expensive. Yesterday, in addition to my summery Battleship palette, I got some gold leather flip-flops ($12!), red glitter nail polish in a shade called "Merry Me" ($3) and a bagful of fancy soaps-n-crap, including a big tube of Bliss body butter in the vanilla bergamot scent.

I bring this up for smell people, because I think the Bliss body butters have the best scents of any body products I've tried (excluding beauty product versions of actual perfumes). I also own the blood orange & white pepper and lemon & sage scents, but the vanilla bergamot is remarkable in particular because I normally revile vanilla scents in lotion. What you get here is complex enough to be a real perfume – the bergamot is actually bitter! And the vanilla isn't too sweet – it has nuances of licorice and root beer. Would you believe: It kind of smells like a slice out of Shalimar. You might need to get some.

15 comments:

  1. I love ELF. They have them at Target, too- and at Marshall's, which is just like TJ Maxx (we have both here). I buy the eye shadow palette and don't even use half the colors- I just get giddy when I see them lookin' all "come hither, wanton woman" and streetwalkery. You can mix them with Vaseline to make them shiny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I have a bag of impulse purchases I need to return to there this very moment actually, (Ralph Lauren sweater tee...because when you're warm enough to wear a tee...it should never be a sweater). But it's not outside the realm of possibility that I'll end up spending even more. Did however find an amazing cache of D.L.&Co candles there--the black dahlia has been pretty lovely. I spend forever in their entire "products" section really. I think it's where I discovered all things Lolita d'Lempicka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, my bottles of LL pour Masculine and L de LL both came from either TJMaxx or Marshall's in Boston. I could kill like 2 hours in there.

      Things like short-sleeved sweaters actually do come somewhat in handy if you work in an office where it might be 64 degrees inside in the summer. But yeah, file under items you need like once a year.

      Delete
  3. Dude. And don't you find that TJ Maxx has surprisingly good GF snacks for sale in their food section? Because I do, At heart, I am a Marshall's girl, but there is a TJ Maxx closer to me here in Alexandria and so that's what I go to. even though TJ's and Marshall's are owned by exactly the same company and are essentially exactly the same...I just like Marshall's better. When I was living in Las Cruces it was such a guilty pleasure to go there, as it was all the way on the other, newer end of town, like by the fancy gold course and shit. The TJ Maxx by me is so close I could walk if I wanted to (I don't). I got some BRIGHT blue exercise capris there the other day, plus a sports bra random tea and caramel popcorn. I also find those kinds of stores KEY for stuff I can't ever find in other places (shorts that actually fit me!). I was in a terrible mood and I almos bought a Marc Jacobs bathing suit marked down to $50, even though I have like 5 other bathing suits and I didn't even like that one that much, but thankfully I held off. I've been shopping on Ebay on weekend and now i'm like damn, I wanna go to TJ Maxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so many typos! gold course, all weekend, etc.

      Delete
    2. GOLF course. i guess i just like gold better than golf. #thetruthcomesout #whossurprised

      Delete
    3. I knew what you meant! And correcting a typo with the same typo is one of my favorite things.

      I used to go to a Marshall's in Boston on the regular to stalk the perfume section, but the TJMaxx I go to here in Denver has a much better beauty product section, less picked over and sticky. Something about places like TJMaxx and Target make it possible for me to buy things that I would normally just commit to doing without but that I KINDA NEED. But then I always drop an extra hundred on stuff I totally don't. Hence: true guilty pleasure, as in I actually do feel guilty about it, but mostly on the way there -- on the way home it's all pleasure all the time.

      Delete
    4. P.S. I always thought going a size up in shorts was the secret to the universe, but lately shorts in my usual size have been fitting. I didn't lose any weight, so either my ass is redistributing or the world finally figured out how to size shorts.

      Delete
    5. I just think all the dang shorts are too short. I don't want like, knee-length or mom frumpy shorts, but I'm not trying to show my coochie, either.

      Delete
    6. Shorts at tweeny stores are crazy short. It's like a two-inch band. It's like, you can see my ass crack AND the ass-thigh cleavage area. I have more luck at adultish stores.

      Delete
    7. I've been trolling Ebay for Anthropologie shorts, so we'll see if anything promising happens.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I live CLOSE to T. J. Maxx. I can get there SO FAST. Like 3 minutes. So... yeah. I try not to go, because there is almost always some scented something I want for $15. sigh. If I just wouldn't buy so many "nice enough" stuff for $15, I could own more Tauers and such.

    Actually they have this whole campaign that I keep seeing ads for on Hulu and/or CWTV: "Be a Maxxinista." So, I guess we're Maxxinistas. Maybe trying to avoid that cringe-worth identity will help us resist T. J. Maxx's charms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Maxxinista commercials never even touch on the wonder of the beauty product section. It's all about, like, hats and vases, which I never go near. Fools!

      Delete
    2. YES. They're all about planning a fancyass brunch or whatever. ??

      Delete