Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Upcoming readings and links

Hello darlings. A lot has been going on. We went to LA and saw more doctors and sunsets, got coffee at the Coffee Bean, ate the tuna tataki salad at M Cafe two days in a row, got fancy drinks at Bouchon with a Twitter friend, etc. I'm making it sound awesome, when it was actually kind of depressing and outrageously expensive. Still, here's the social media version. John pointed out that this walkway at LAX is in a scene from When Harry Met Sally:

John liked his tacos at this place so much he didn't offer me a bite:

We went to the Last Bookstore in the "Historic Core" area of LA:

There was time for happy hour and people watching on Venice Beach before our (delayed) Friday night flight:

Two true things about Beverly Hills: Everyone is EXTREMELY good-looking (you especially notice how well-dressed and -coiffed are the men, since in most places I've been to, men put a lot less effort into their appearance than women), and everyone openly stares at everyone else. As soon as I pointed it out to John, he couldn't stop laughing about it. A couple will sit down next to you in a restaurant and just look at you the whole time, like you're the entertainment. I have a few theories:

  1. People are checking you out to see if you're famous.
  2. People want to be discovered, so they stare at you just in case you are an agent, to be sure you see them.
  3. Most people are wearing sunglasses, which breaks eye contact, so it's easier to stare. (This works even if only one party is wearing them.) 

I think the third one contributes, but it's definitely not just that, because people wear shades in Colorado too, and it's not a staring culture.

Anyway, I have some upcoming readings and other things to share with you:

* This Saturday I am reading in the So & So Series in Raleigh, North Carolina, with Aaron Belz and Kyle McCord. All readings take place at 8 pm at The Morning Times Cafe, 10 E. Hargett St.

* I'll be reading at Counterpath here in Denver on Friday, Nov. 8 at 7 pm and at Innisfree Bookstore in Boulder on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 4 pm, both times with Michele Battiste and Joy Katz. (With any luck, I'll have new books to sell!)

* Boston folks: Catch me reading with Chris Tonelli and Dan Magers at the Brookline Booksmith on Friday, December 13.

* We're early in the planning stages, but I'm also working on setting up a reading and launch party at Berl's in Brooklyn on Saturday, December 14.

And now, LINKS!:

* Kathy and I have a collaborative ekphrastic in the new issue of Better. It's based on this painting:

* I have two poem-koans in The Volta.

* I am going to be doing some guest-writing at my favorite perfume blog, Bois de Jasmin. My first post, on smoky perfumes, went up this morning.

* And just so this post isn't all about me, here are a few poems I loved recently: "One Way of Doing Battle" by Lisa Ciccarello ("Do you think I spent all this time in the bear-dark forest / in the wing-maze in the trap-howl // in the blade-hunt with the animals stringing up their dead // just to name the moon in the name / of my father?"); "I Throw Rocks" by Matt Henriksen ("An ear infection turns into the realization that I do not need a style, only to move and watch the formations of time, of sound, and of color and shape. The light now, in our dark living room, where I type with one exhausted eye on my phone, does not reach through the open door to you and our daughter asleep in the next room. I am no longer sick with fire or bad ideas."); and "When He Is a Woman" by Rebecca Hazelton ("When he is a woman / I feel optimistic, / when he is in a dress that suits / his small frame, when the heels / he walks in puts his round hips to sway, / all these things make the smoke hover / above my scotch / on the rocks.")


  1. An ex of mine used to wait tables at a fancypants Soho restaurant that served a lot of models, and he said that the clients there would do the same thing—just stare at one another. His theory was that because so many of them were in modeling and film, they were sort of used to being looked at and didn't think twice about doing the same to others. Makes sense that in an image-conscious town near the film industry that the same logic would apply?

    1. It did feel like people were just watching real life like it was TV. It wasn't even male-gazey, really. It was like being at the circus.

  2. I suspect that the staring thing comes, at least in part, from a deep-rooted insecurity, always wondering who's chasing you from behind, or who's gunning for you. It's the kind of thing that tends to happen in a rarefied culture where the competition is incessant and ruthless.