Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Upcoming readings, updated

Just a reminder that I have two readings this weekend in Colorado:
And here are details for my Boston launch next Friday, Nov. 15 at Sweetwater Tavern:


I'll be reading from The Self Unstable as well as some new work that I'm a little nervous about. I hope to see you soon, East Coast and No-Coast friends!

What else can I tell you? I saw an amazing performance piece with piano, electronica, and poetry last night, performed by Jon Woodward and Oni Buchanan. The piece, Uncanny Valley, was composed by John Gibson using text from Jon's poem of the same name. It was funny but supremely creepy, especially when Oni reached into the guts of the piano and scraped a credit card against the strings, which sounds like someone being murdered.

I've been reading Young Tambling by Kate Greenstreet. I want to channel Kate at my upcoming readings; when she reads, she already sounds like she's channeling something else; it's hypnotic. I also read City of Tomorrow by Chad Reynolds, a lovely, strange chapbook about a transsexual in Oklahoma City. Example line: "My emotions are clear but my body is not."

Have you seen this movie, 8 Femmes? It's so fricking cute:



What's been going on with you?

10 comments:

  1. I'm trying to act in a musical adaptation of It's a Wonderful Life despite a sore throat. I'm playing Uncle Billy, the absent-minded souse who loses the money. Not as cool as The Designated Mourner, but I'm having fun.

    8 Femmes was okay, but I prefer other Ozon. Gouttes d'eau sur pierres brûlantes (Water Drops on Burning Rocks), for example, or Les amants criminel. Une robe d'été and Regarde la mer were excellent shorts. The later featured Marina de Van, who wrote, directed, and starred in the incredible Dans ma peau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no Francophile cinephile TBH .. John always wants to watch French films and I'm always like, yawn.

      Delete
  2. How do you resolve that conlict? My usual approach is to capitulate to her wishes. Like when I went with a woman who always wanted to hear gloomy doomy metal, Type O Negative and Lacuna Coil and such. (And I mean always. Everything in my music collection except the Sabbath and Zepp made her yawn.) I didn't care for it at first, but I acquired a taste for it. The concerts were too fucking loud, though; they destroyed my ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He capitulates to my wishes! I'm the woman, man.

      Delete
  3. I capitulate though because I, too, am the man... I, too, share the burdens and privileges of white masculinity and must suffer its scourges (for me it's 70's southern and classic rock that must somehow be stomached). It's not all bad. I have learned, for example, that I love... and I mean fracking adore... Supertramp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked -- shocked! -- to learn, when I first met him, that John loves Fleetwood Mac too. But now I also love me some Effy Mac.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout out, Elisa! CR

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why worried she changed her mind?

      Delete
    2. Actually, this just in: new information shows I was just being paranoid. Carry on:)

      Delete