Tuesday, February 3, 2015

7 thoughts on style, sex & beauty

I suppose I should save these for my style column, but whatever:

1. Who cares if men don't like red lipstick? Men are wrong.

2. I don't understand why women say they need long shirts to wear with skinny jeans. I see/hear this all the time? The "skinny" in skinny jeans refers to the leg; the ass part is only going to be particularly tighter than other kinds of jeans if they're jeggings. I am much more in need of long shirts to wear with boyfriend jeans, because they sit so low my underwear/hipbones will show if my shirt is too short. (I'm reminded of this absolutely SCANDALOUS shot from the Sartorialist.)



3. Some great things about being in your 30s: a) It's much easier to be hot for your age. Everyone is hot in their 20s. b) The stuff you wear to be "sexy" is actually sexy; in your 20s, "sexy" means trampy. I'm not slut-shaming anyone, I wore trampy stuff in my 20s too. I'm just saying, 30s-sexy is sexier and I knew that even when I was a teenager, I just wasn't ready to pull it off. c) Unrelated to style, when you're 35 you just do what you want and you don't do what you don't want, for the most part. It's the dream. Not that the suffering is over, but at least you skip a LOT of the bullshit.

4. More on 30s-sexy: Buttons are everything. Also: ankles, wrists. (How Victorian!)

5. There's an interesting interview in the new Believer with Dian Hanson, the "sexy book editor" for Taschen, where she says there's a theory (?) that men who are into legs are "introverted, intellectual, passive, shy," because their mothers didn't snuggle them to their chests enough when they were babies, or something like that. Whatever: I feel an affinity for men who are into legs, because I myself find women's legs much more interesting than women's breasts, and I myself am intellectual. (Ha. Ha. Ha.)

6. It's a shame they've become such a Halloween cliche, because fishnet stockings are truly the most flattering optical illusion to legs, exaggerating every curve. I would like a mathematician to explain this effect to me. (The nude, if not black, option is still permissible in some day-to-day contexts.)

7. Also in the Believer, from a brief piece about Philip Roth by an Italian journalist who befriended and made a documentary about him: "It reminded me of a game I'd encountered before with men of power, who first come on to you, and then once they've set their web of seduction, withhold because they expect you to make the decisive move." (Everything is about power except power, which is about sex.)

17 comments:

  1. Mon dieu! What man said he doesn't like red lipstick? I want his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh in trash magazines you are forever seeing shit about men not liking lipstick or basically anything involving obvious makeup or effort because you are supposed to be a natural beauty or some shit. F that! Fishnets, red lips and fake beauty marks forever.

      Delete
    2. When I was 13 or so, I saw a documentary series on the Discovery channel about sex. I'll never forget what they said about the significance of red lipstick...

      Delete
    3. Well, what did they say??!

      Delete
    4. Ah, it's not common knowledge? See, that's how deeply this factoid was embedded in my brain: they said red lipstick is suggestive of the appearance of the labia during arousal.

      Delete
    5. Doesn't seem like it could get THAT red.

      Delete
    6. Not like Rudolph's nose, perhaps. Still... Then again, I'm no scientist.

      I think the host's name was Desmond Morris? Does that ring a bell?

      Delete
  2. Nodding in approval (women in their 30s are sexier), although, like Matt, I am also befuddled at the magazine claim that men do not like red lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are all giving me great hope for men! No one has weighed in to say "yep I don't like red lipstick"

      Delete
    2. I'm willing to bet that these trashy mags' editors' only sources of information about gender are other trashy mags.

      Delete
    3. No doubt! The odd thing is that they stay afloat mostly by telling you what lipstick to buy, selling lipstick adverts etc.

      Delete
  3. Not nearly as scandalous as the Sports Illustrated Cover, but that's because it's in all of the 7-11's and stop and shops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't love it, but don't dislike--and it can be terrific: love the Guess Girl look. I do wonder if it's in some ways a color that is best matched to photos or film rather than off camera reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does seem a bit hopeful to me that "men don't like red lipstick"--this could signal men want women, not camera images/fantasies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which isn't to state desiring a "natural" look which is actually reeking of too much discipline is less problematic.

    ReplyDelete